Let’s Talk Logo Design, My Process, and What You Need to Know
Logo design is one of those things that new business owners rush to get done. They often make the mistake of rushing through the logo design process. Whether it be excitement or something else, I’ve never understood the need to rush. Your logo is really important, and it’s often the first thing your customers will see. Wouldn’t you rather blow them away with a relevant logo, rather than just another generic one?
Here’s the truth.
I don’t believe business owners alone are to blame. You see, graphic designers deserve some of the blame as well. At times, they enable this kind of behavior by simply following whatever their client tells them, rather than providing honest feedback and the necessary creative approach.
I’ve decided to try and change that.
I’m going to dedicate this entire post to explaining my creative process when it comes to logo design. There are many things to consider when it comes to creating a logo, but it’s my goal to try and explain the following:
- What you should expect
- How your graphic designer approaches the process
- How to find a designer that works for you
What to Expect from the Graphic Design Process
Don’t listen to anyone who tells you graphic design is as easy as cropping photos, changing colors, and making other minor changes. It’s a complicated process that takes years of practice to master.
Branding design involves identifying what makes a brand special, how customers perceive that brand, and developing digital assets that appeal to both a brand’s identity and its customers. A logo is an important aspect of branding.
However, like anything in branding, a logo is only a single piece of an overall branding. A brand also has a specific style guide, other graphics for social media accounts, packaging if it sells physical products, and a distinct personality.
Don’t believe me? Check this out.
You’ve likely heard about the fast food brand Wendy’s. Their logo has been slightly updated in the last decade, but it’s their social media campaigns have become infamous because of their sharp-tongued humor. If Wendy’s targets you online, you will come out with a few cuts and bruises. All of this is part of Wendy’s decision to modernize its brand.
So, what does this have to do with graphic design?
What I’m suggesting is that everything you do for your brand, whether it be logo design or packaging, that it be tied together into a total brand package. Your logo cannot stand on its own, it needs a brand to exist, and your brand needs a personality to back it up. A generic logo will not accomplish this because it doesn’t have any personality at all.
Now, before you go and demand that your graphic designer work miracles, you should understand what to expect from the logo design process.
My Logo Design Process
Let me start by saying I don’t accept every project that comes my way. I believe in working with companies that fit my preference for minimalistic, clean and grid-based design with a focus on typography. There’s nothing wrong with busy logos, but I’d rather you work with a designer that understands your needs.
Alright, so if you reach out to me and we decide to work together, here’s what you should expect.
- Discovery – It all starts with the discovery process. I take the time to get to know your company, the project, and how you envision your brand. I don’t like to dive into a logo design project until I know exactly what I’m working with.
- Research and Strategization – Next, I take the info you’ve provided me and start to research it. My goal is to get to know your company, how it fits into your industry, your competitors, and your customers.
- Concepts – Who doesn’t love a good concept? After completing the research and strategy stage, I draft the initial concepts for your logo and other branding elements.
- Design – After you review the concepts I create, I start to flesh them out, creating full-fledged designs. It’s at this point that your logo and branding elements start to come alive.
- Refine – Feedback is crucial in the design process. There’s no such thing as a perfect design. You see, I believe that feedback is the key to perfection. It’s through constant feedback that you refine and create the right logo for a brand. During this stage, I take your feedback and use it to improve the overall design.
- Finalize – Final touches are important too. You can’t escape those final few changes, and I encourage my clients to communicate them with me.
- Apply and Launch – This stage is where it all comes together. Your logo and other branding elements are applied throughout your business, placed on your social media profiles, and your brand is officially launched.
You shouldn’t fear the logo design process. It doesn’t have to be scary. But, you should understand that great logo design takes time. You don’t want to work with a graphic designer that creates 40 lifeless logo designs.
Great logo design takes effort, a desire to do it right, and the dedication to get to know all of the intimate details of a company. A worthwhile graphic designer understands this, and will work with you to create the right logo for your business.
Finding Your Ideal Graphic Designer
You don’t want to hire just any graphic designer. You want to hire the right one for your project. As I mentioned before, I love minimalist, grid-based, clean design with bold typography, while another designer may like working with custom illustration or something else.
The good news is that there are a lot of graphic designers out there. Don’t feel pressured to sign up with the first one you meet. Take the time to look at their past work, see what styles they like to work with, and if they are a good fit for your project. And, if you like them, contact them. Sometimes a quick call will help you rule out if a designer isn’t the right fit.
Need a Logo? Let’s Chat!
Are you looking to update or develop your company branding? I can help you with this, but first I’d like to make sure we are a good match.
So, here’s what you need to do if you want to work together.
Email or call me at 647-930-0225. I’ll schedule a chat with you where we can discuss your project, any requirements you have, and to see if I’m a good fit.
I love working with entrepreneurs who are looking to build their brands, and I’d love to help you create your ideal brand through the power of graphic design.
Enhance Your Business Through the Power of Design
Stay up to date on everything graphic and web design with my monthly newsletter.